Thursday, May 20, 2010

Jade's Sushi Party

When asked; my Step Daughter informed me she wanted a Sushi Party for her 11th birthday.
So I called up her mom and we started planning. We decided she would make candy sushi, I'd make sushi cupcakes, and we had to have a make your own sushi bar.

But first Invitations had to be made.

I took a piece of 8x8 craft paper, I used ribbon to tie the chopsticks and invitation onto it. The invitation was printed onto a opalescent paper, so it was a bit tricky to photograph. The holes were made using a simple hole punch.

In preparation for the party I decided to personalize a few things.

I used the same image from the invitations for the labels. I found a sleeve of 50 chinese takeout boxes that I personalized with each girls name.

I made white cupcakes, and decorated them with coconut, and stuffed swedish fish inside.

I had to use a pairing knife to stab the cupcakes to get the swedish fish inside.

The make your own sushi table offered a variety of fruits and vegetable to choose from.

We didn't think handling raw fish was a good idea for 11 year olds at a park.

I did have some left over swedish fish, and gummi sharks we put out for the girls to use, or snack on.


The Jar has lychee gummi straws, Jade found them at the Asian market, and had to have them for her party. They had a piney quality to them, and were impossible to open.

My husband had been given the tray and boat for a birthday years ago.

The birthday girl before guests arrived.

Yeah I know it's a mandarin style dress, but it made her feel pretty, and really where do you go to get traditional Japanese clothing?

Speaking of Kimono's I did make a kimono style jacket out of sweatshirts I found for a dollar at walmart. I stenciled the Kanji for "Party" on the back.

My husband showing the girls how to assemble and roll their sushi.

The treat table.


The candy sushi was made out of rice crispy treat, marshmallows, and cut swedish rolls.


Jade waiting to eat cupcakes.


As we sang happy birthday 1 girl kept swatting Jade's bun. She began to protect them vigilantly.


Over all we had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment